! COVID-19: Expect longer shipping times // Attendez-vous à des délais de livraison
Two officers in long leather coats and a pilot, in front of a Junkers JU 52 on grass field, pilot on cockpit.
While looks like complete photo, it is right side of two (?) pictures. This is based on the fact that on reverse the text appears to be cut down middle. The publisher was a major producer of stereoscopic photos, so this would seem to suggest two identical photos.
Fractured German printed text on reverse:
Raumbild-Verlag Otto Schönstein was the Third Reich's major stereoscopic publishing house, whose controlling partner was Heinrich Hoffmann, Hitler's personal photographer.
Printed on thicker paper. Some glue remnants on back.
6.5 X 6 cm.
(Red text is an electronic watermark that is not physically part of the photo for sale).
Note: The sale of these items in no way supports the actions or philosophies of the Axis powers. I am selling the historical record.
The Junkers Ju 52 (nicknamed Tante Ju ("Aunt Ju") and Iron Annie) is a German trimotor transport aircraft manufactured from 1931 to 1952. It saw both civilian and military service during the 1930s and 1940s. In a military role, it flew with the Luftwaffe as a troop and cargo transport and briefly as a medium bomber.
World War II
While in use by the Deutsche Lufthansa the Ju 52 had proved to be an extremely reliable passenger airplane and was, therefore, adopted by the Luftwaffe as a standard aircraft model. In 1938, the 7th Air Division had five air transport groups with 250 Ju 52s. The Luftwaffe had 552 Ju 52s at the start of World War II. Even though it was built in great numbers, the Ju.52 was technically obsolete. Between 1939 and 1944, 2.804 Ju 52s were delivered to the Luftwaffe (1939: 145; 1940: 388; 1941: 502; 1942:503; 1943:887; and 1944:379). The production of Ju 52s continued until approximately the summer of 1944; when the war came to an end, there were still 100 to 200 available.
The Ju 52 could carry eighteen fully equipped soldiers, or twelve stretchers when used as an air ambulance. Transported material was loaded and unloaded through side doors by means of a ramp. Air dropped supplies were jettisoned through two double chutes; supply containers were dropped by parachute through the bomb-bay doors, and paratroopers jumped through the side doors. Half-track motorcycles (kettenkraftrad) and parachute troops' supply canisters were secured under the fuselage at the bomb bay exits and were dropped with four parachutes. A tow coupling was built into the tail-skid for use in towing freight gliders. The Ju 52 could tow up to two DFS 230 gliders.