WW1 photo of Borden military camp Ontario (Canada)
Nice panoramic view of tents of Borden Military Camp, near Barrie Ontario. Built in 1916 to train Canadian Expeditionary Forces before shipping off to Europe.
Labeled at bottom ‘CAMP BORDEN 105’.
Written on negative ‘Blakemore Studio’ (71 King Street W, Toronto).
Undated, but based on AZO photographic paper used, 1904-1918.
Small corner creases. Back is stained.
(Red text is an electronic watermark that is not physically part of the photo for sale)
At the height of the First World War, the Borden Military Camp opened at a location on a glacial moraine west of Barrie in 1916 to train units for the Canadian Expeditionary Force. It was named for Sir Frederick Borden, Minister of Militia. In May 1916, the Barrie and Collingwood companies of the 157th Battalion (Simcoe Foresters), CEF (perpetuated today by The Grey and Simcoe Foresters ), under the command of Lieutenant-Colonel D.H. MacLaren, began construction of the camp.
Camp Borden was selected in 1917 for a military aerodrome, becoming the first flying station of the Royal Flying Corps Canada.