Appears to be British Mark IV tank, captured and re-marked for German use.
Tank has nickname painted on side: ‘Liesel’.
Written on back: “Tank boche à La Pompelle 1918” (German tank at La Pompelle 1918)
Rare photo! There is another 1918 picture online of this tank, before its destruction.
Rust spots on back.
6,5 x 11 cm.
Liesel was the name of the British Mark IV tank #4571, service record:
The Fort de la Pompelle, also known as Fort Herbillon, is one of a number of forts built around Reims after 1870 as part of a fortification belt in the Séré de Rivières system. The forts saw combat during the First World War in the defense of Reims. The fort is located about 2 kilometres north of the town of Sillery, between Reims and Châlons-en-Champagne. Constructed as a supporting position for larger forts and disarmed in 1913, it saw the heaviest fighting of the Reims forts. It was bombarded during the war and remains in a state of ruin.
The fort saw particularly strong assaults in the spring of 1918 in the Second Battle of the Marne, when it was assaulted three times, on 1 June with fifteen tanks. Each assault was repelled by the elements of the 1st Colonial Infantry Corps.
Le fort de la Pompelle est l'un des nombreux forts construits autour de Reims après 1870 dans le cadre de la ceinture fortifiée du système Séré de Rivières construite pour défendre la ville ; il fut le verrou de la défense de Reims pendant la Première Guerre mondiale.
Les hommes du fort furent aussi fortement aidés par la marine nationale dont les canonnières stationnaient sur le canal entre Sept-Saulx et Courmelois, et qui de cet endroit bombardaient les lignes allemandes. Enfin, le 1er Corps d'Armée Colonial du général Mazillier s'y couvre de gloire en 1918.