Vintage photo of dog sled team Northern Ontario @1920s
Nice image of two men with 5 dogs (not huskies!) tied to small sled, outside of a log house.
Handwritten on back: “South River Ontario” "Mr. Wylde et son attelage de chiens sur la South River Canada” (“Mr. Wylde and his dog team on the South River Canada”).
Slight yellowing on back. Some text in pencil.
8 x 10.5 cm
South River is a village on Highway 124 near Algonquin Park in the Almaguin Highlands region of Parry Sound District of Ontario, Canada. It is about halfway between North Bay and Huntsville or a 3.5-hour drive north from Toronto.
Logging in the area began in the 1860s, but it was not until 1881 when the first settlers, Robert Carter and his wife, arrived following the completion of the Grand Trunk Railroad. Within a few years, they opened a general store and the new community, located on the eponymous South River, had hotels, a bank, a butcher shop, and jeweller. The river itself provided the power for a sawmill and grist mill, while also being used for log driving.