Photo postcard of early car produced by the Vulcan Motor Manufacturing in Southport England c. 1906. This is a Landaulette, 18/20 hp model. It was owned by the noble Lytton family.
The chauffeur in uniform is sitting waiting for passengers.
Written on back:
Witten in red UL corner "Lancs" on small piece of tape.
Corner creases. Back stained/smudged.
(Red text is an electronic watermark that is not physically part of the photo for sale)
The Vulcan Motor and Engineering Company Limited, of Southport, England, made cars from 1902 until 1928
Brothers Thomas and Joseph Hampson had built an experimental car in Bolton in 1899. In 1902 they moved to Southport trading as Vulcan Motor Manufacturing and Trading and built the first Vulcan car which was a 4hp single-cylinder belt-driven type driving the rear wheels through a two speed gearbox and a belt to the back axle. In 1903, this grew to 6.5hp with shaft drive and the chassis was now "armoured ash". Twin-cylinder 1.5 L models followed in 1904 now with steel chassis and in 1905, 2 and then 3 L four-cylinder types appeared and the company moved from Yellow House Lane to Hawesside Street, both in Southport. Things kept growing and a van version of the twin came in 1906 along with large 4.8 L six-cylinder models and a move to even larger premises at Crossens, Southport with a change of company name to Vulcan Motor and Engineering.
Neville Stephen Bulwer-Lytton, 3rd Earl of Lytton, OBE (6 February 1879 – 9 February 1951) was a British military officer, Olympian and artist.
Neville Lytton was born in British India on 6 February 1879 while parents served as viceroy and vicereine: Robert Bulwer-Lytton, 1st Earl of Lytton and Edith Villiers. Neville was the grandson of the famous novelists, Edward Bulwer-Lytton and Rosina Doyle Wheeler. His siblings included the suffragette Constance Lytton, Betty Balfour, Countess of Balfour (and sister in law of the prime minister), and Emily Lutyens, wife of the architect Edwin Lutyens.