Photo postcard of The Earl of Crawford & Balcarres sitting with family in an early car outside their home at Haig Hall c. 1905. The car is a Vulcan Motor Manufacturing manufactured in Southport England. This is 10 hp Landaulette model.
Label on negative LR ‘Balcarres’.
Written on back:
Toned area top of photo front and back. Back toned/smudged.
(Red text is an electronic watermark that is not physically part of the photo for sale)
The Vulcan Motor and Engineering Company Limited, of Southport, England, made cars from 1902 until 1928
Brothers Thomas and Joseph Hampson had built an experimental car in Bolton in 1899. In 1902 they moved to Southport trading as Vulcan Motor Manufacturing and Trading and built the first Vulcan car which was a 4hp single-cylinder belt-driven type driving the rear wheels through a two speed gearbox and a belt to the back axle. In 1903, this grew to 6.5hp with shaft drive and the chassis was now "armoured ash". Twin-cylinder 1.5 L models followed in 1904 now with steel chassis and in 1905, 2 and then 3 L four-cylinder types appeared and the company moved from Yellow House Lane to Hawesside Street, both in Southport.
David Alexander Edward Lindsay, 27th Earl of Crawford and 10th Earl of Balcarres, KT, PC, DL, FRS, FSA (1871 –1940), styled Lord Balcarres or Lord Balniel between 1880 and 1913, was a British Conservative politician and art connoisseur.
Born at Dunecht, Aberdeenshire, Crawford was the eldest son of James Lindsay, 26th Earl of Crawford and 9th Earl of Balcarres and his wife Emily Florence, daughter of Colonel the Hon. Edward Bootle-Wilbraham. The Hon. Sir Ronald Lindsay was his younger brother. He was educated at Eton and Magdalen College, Oxford.
His family had extensive mining interests on the Lancashire Coalfield at Haigh near Wigan where his family had a seat at Haigh Hall. He was chairman of the Wigan Coal and Iron Company and its successor the Wigan Coal Corporation.
Crawford was elected Member of Parliament for Chorley in 1895 and served as a Junior Lord of the Treasury from 1903 to 1905 under Arthur Balfour. After the Conservatives went into opposition in 1905 he was Chief Conservative Whip in the House of Commons between 1911 and 1913.