Two albumen photos of Rosslyn Chapel Scotland @1870

$80.00 CAD

| /

Two albumen photos of the chapel, now famed for the Da Vinci movie reference:

  • ‘Rosslyn Chapel North Front. 472’, followed by photographer’s name (double As?).
  • ‘The Chancel Rosslyn Chapel 61’, followed by photographer’s name ‘G.W.W.’

Both are glued to same album page (thick paperboard), one on each side. The page is gilded on three sides.

Some rust spots on paperboard. Paperboard bit warped. North Front has some age spots at top. Slight yellowing of prints around edges.

Photos: 21.5 X 12.5 cm  /  8-1/8” X 4-7/8”

Board: 21.5 X 18 cm  /  10-1/8” X 7-1/8”

Red text is an electronic watermark that is not physically part of the photo for sale.


Rosslyn Chapel, formally known as the Collegiate Chapel of St Matthew, is a 15th-century chapel located at the village of Roslin, Midlothian, Scotland.

Rosslyn Chapel was founded on a small hill above Roslin Glen as a Catholic collegiate church (with between four and six ordained canons and two boy choristers) in the mid-15th century. The chapel was founded by William Sinclair, 1st Earl of Caithness of the Scoto-Norman Sinclair family. Rosslyn Chapel is the third Sinclair place of worship at Roslin, the first being in Roslin Castle and the second (whose crumbling buttresses can still be seen today) in what is now Roslin Cemetery.

The chapel became the subject of speculation regarding its supposed connection with the Knights Templar or Freemasonry beginning in the 1980s.

The topic entered mainstream pop culture with Dan Brown's The Da Vinci Code (2003), reinforced by the subsequent film of the same name (2006)


George Washington Wilson (1823 –1893) was a pioneering Scottish photographer.

After studying art in Edinburgh and London, Wilson returned to his native city of Aberdeen in 1849 and established a business as a portrait miniaturist catering to the wealthy families of the North East of Scotland. After some years of mediocre success, Wilson ventured into portrait photography in 1852 setting a portrait studio with John Hay in 25 Crown Street in Aberdeen. From there, aided by his well-developed technical and commercial acumen and a contract to photograph the Royal Family while documenting the building of Balmoral Castle in 1854-1855, he established himself as one of Scotland's premier photographers working for Queen Victoria and Prince Albert in 1860.

Pioneering the development of techniques for photography outside of the studio and the mass production of photographic prints, he moved increasingly from portraiture to landscape photography in the 1860s. By 1864 he claimed to have sold over half a million prints. At the time of his death in 1893 the firm employed 40 staff and was one of the largest publishers of photographic prints in the world. The business survived until 1908, when it was wound up at auction.