Toronto, team photo of the 1931-32 Gutta Percha Hockey Club

$109.00 USD

| /

Nice photo of the 1931-32 of the company Gutta Percha Hockey Club.Gutta Percha & Rubber, Limited of Toronto was an important supplier of rubber vehicle tires and other vehicle parts such as drive belts,etc..

Gutta Percha Hockey Club 1931-1932
 
ROBERTSON (Ass’t Trainer) G. FLISHER (Manager) J. KENNEDY (Goal) A. LAMOND (Trainer)
 
HATT (Defense) R. FISHER (Forward) C. CHEAL (Forward) B. POOLE (Forward) J. DAVIDSON (Defence)
 
SNELLING (Defence) W. BAKER (Forward) W. LUGDEN (Goal) J. FOTHERINGHAM (Forward) F. McCLELLAND (Forward)

  

The trainer has a leather jacket with a patch ‘M.H.C. 1930-31 GROUP CHAMPS’.

On back is photographer’s stamp:

PANORAMIC PHOTOGRAPHY CO.
G.W. LATTA, Prop.  
67 MADISON AVE. TORONTO 5

 

Photo mounted on thick cardboard card, glued to backing is the ‘frame’ with text.

Chips along edges of backing card, corners damaged.

Card: 11 ⅞” x 13 ⅞”

Photo (visible): 7 ¼” x 9 ¼”

(Red text is an electronic watermark that is not physically part of the photo for sale)

 

Along with the growing demand for vehicles came greater need for tires and with it an escalating requirement for rubber. Gutta Percha & Rubber Mfg. Co. of Toronto, which would later become Gutta Percha & Rubber, Limited, pioneered the manufacture of rubber vehicle tires in Canada, declaring themselves the “largest and most successful makers in the Dominion.” The company, which was founded in 1883 in Toronto’s Parkdale neighbourhood, made two types of tires: solid rubber and round cushion, which is smooth, solid rubber attached to a round metal band.  

By 1910, the company’s product line was so extensive it became an important supplier not only of rubber tires but other vehicle parts such as drive belts, as can be seen by this 1950 advertisement in Chemistry in Canada. It also supplied products to sawmills and pulp mills — which needed belts to run large machinery — and made fire hoses, mats, hockey pucks, rubber stair treads, washers and even footwear and boots. The company had offices in Winnipeg, Montreal and Vancouver as well as Toronto.

The name of the company, Gutta Percha, is derived from the genus name of the Palaquium gutta tree, which produces sap that transforms into a rigid natural latex. While latex rubbers are amorphous in molecular structure, gutta-percha crystallizes, increasing rigidity. Found to be a natural thermoplastic, it was useful for a myriad of domestic and industrial uses, including insulation for underwater telegraph cables. Eventually its popularity led to a collapse in supply.

https://www.cheminst.ca/magazine/article/then-and-now-3/