January 16th 1946, from Edmunston Jct. N.B. to Rivière du Loup Qc.
Stamped on reverse in purple, Rivière du Loup Que.
3 X 3 cm.
In 1885 the Temiscouata Railway Company was incorporated to build a railway from Edmundston to Riviere-du-Loup in Quebec. However, the line was not built to finish the New Brunswick Railway connection with Central Canada but rather to provide an efficient way to move large amounts of timber from the timber rich areas of Northwestern New Brunswick to market. Construction began in 1886 and was completed in 1889. The very crooked line wound around the mountainous terrain between Riviere-du-Loup and the New Brunswick border. The following year an extension from Edmundston to Connors was opened. The line struggled financially for several years and was hurt financially by construction of the National Transcontinental Railway line in 1912 which passed by the Temiscouata line leading to increased competition for shipping business from the area. In 1940 the section of track from Edmundston to Baker Brook was abandoned, trains instead ran along the nearby National Transcontinental lines between the two stops. In 1949 Canadian National purchased the line and operated it until the 1970's when the section from Cabano to Rivere-du-loup was abandoned.