RPPC photo of Horne Mine, Noranda Quebec Canada @1935
Early photo of the famous Horne mine, taken from other side of Osisko Lake.
On back ‘VAVASOUR & DICK, Photographers, ROUYN, P.Q.’ These were premier photographers of the early growth of Rouyn-Noranda and the mining industry. At one time this town was called the Copper Capital of the World.
Noranda was incorporated in 1922 as Noranda Mines under the leadership of James Y. Murdoch to exploit the Horne deposit, discovered by Edmond Henry Horne on mineral claims he staked in 1920. Extraction of copper began on 17 December 1927. Although extraction was originally predicted to last for only three years, additional reserves (the gigantic "Giant H Orebody") were quickly discovered; the mine would form the backbone of Noranda's operations until reserves were exhausted in 1976.
Le photographie Hubert Vavasour s'établit à Rouyn en 1925. Il ouvre l'année suivante un studio de photographie, lequel fut en activité jusqu'aux environs de 1935. Il quitte ensuite Rouyn pour s'établir à Val-d'Or, alors en pleine expansion. Il habite durant quelques années, puis vend son studio pour retourner en Angleterre, son pays d'origine