Twelfth Annual Report of the
Commissioners of Prisons
REFORMATORY PRISON FOR WOMEN
Annual Report of the Superintendent and Other Officers
for the year ending September 30, 1889
Printed by Wright and Potter, State Printers, Boston
Fascinating snapshot of prison system in late 19th century. Lots of charts, information, and financials.
Scarce, treasure trove for researchers!
- prisoner breakdown by types of crimes and their sentences: abandoning child, abortion, attempt poisoning, common nightwalker, stubbornness, keeping house of ill-fame,etc..
- birthplace of parents of prisoners by country
- ages, habits, conjugal condition and education of prisoners. e.g. common nightwalker peaks in the 21-25 year old range
- average age, age ranges, offences of 'younger intemperate' prisoners (age 15-21)
- commitment by counties
- food ordered and quantities ('297 bushels of beets...$148.50')
- physician's report on diseases treated (good stuff!), chaplain's report, report on pardons, report from agent for aiding discharged prisoners
Some small marks and handwriting on front cover, small tear on cover and fold LR corner, smudges on back
9" x 5 ⅝"