Photo of long row of de Havilland DH60 Gypsy Moth two-seater biplanes lined up on a grass runway at Camp Borden, near Barrie Ontario.
Typewritten label on back, with penciled notes:
Comes from the estate of a French collector who died in 1940s.
Paper is curved.
16.50 x 24.50 cm // 6 ½” x 9 ⅝”
(Red text is an electronic watermark that is not physically part of the photo for sale)
The fourth plane down the row has #158 on its fuselage. Based on that, tracked down the records for the plane, identifying it as a D.H.60GM:
#158 (de Havilland: DH.60GM / de Havilland Canada: DHC102 / ‘Moth’)
First date: 22 April 1930 - Taken on strength at Camp Borden
To RCAF Station Trenton, Ontario on 18 April 1932. To RCAF Station Ottawa on 3 February 1933. To storage at RCAF Station St. Hubert, PQ on 6 October 1933. Back to Ottawa on 21 May 1934. To St. Hubert on 10 September 1934. To Ottawa on 16 October 1934. Modifications performed at Camp Borden, 20 October 1934 to 22 May 1935. Had 521:20 logged time when work started. To No. 10, later No. 110 (AC) Squadron (Auxiliary), from De Lesseps Aerodrome, Weston, Ontario, when completed. To storage at Camp Borden on 11 august 1937. To de Havilland at Toronto for modifications, 19 April to July 1939, at a cost of $1,630.00. Had 934:30 logged time when it arrived. To Toronto Flying Club on loan when completed, registered as CF-CFV (which see). Noted as a dual control landplane with standard training equipment. Category B damage at 11:45 on 13 January 1940, when it stalled at low altitude near Aurora, Ontario while being flown by P/O Hampsen. Category A crash reported while with Toronto Flying Club, this may be the same accident. Was to return to RCAF as an instructional aid from 11 October 1940, serial A112 reserved, not clear if this was ever actually done.