Norman St. Sepulchre's Church in Northampton, Northamptonshire England.
'J. Wooding Sculp-t' (engraved by J. Wooding).
Copper engraved print.
Some versions of this print have 'Published according to Act of Parliament by Alex.r Hogg, No. 16 Paternoster Row' at bottom. This print may have been cut down.
14.5 x 20 cm
J.G. Wooding: British engraver and printmaker; fl. 1788-1790.
The Holy Sepulchre is a Norman round church in Sheep Street, Northampton, England.
Simon de Senlis, Earl of Northampton, was responsible for making Northampton, England, a Norman stronghold by building a castle (now destroyed) and a town wall (approximately on the site of the inner ring road). It is also probable that he was responsible for the building of All Hallows Church by the market place in the centre of Northampton and the church of the Holy Sepulchre to the north.
It is likely that after his return to Northampton, Simon de Senlis built the round church of the Holy Sepulchre in Northampton, and it is approximately half the size of the church in Jerusalem.