Print with titles in Dutch and Latin
At bottom: Pet:Schenk Exc: Amst: Cum Priv:
Spanish fleet was destroyed by the English fleet by Admiral Byng, near the island Syracuse, Sicily, 11 August 1718.
Superb ship graphics, especially pair of ships near bottom.
Copper engraving. Based on totality of engravings offered for sale, it looks to be original drawing by Adolf van der Laan (1685?-1755), engraved by Leon Schenk, printed by Peter Schenk the Younger, Amsterdam, around 1730.
Print slight cut-down at bottom (based on far left border, extracted from book?)
Scarce.Condition: very nice, slight age browning, small smudge LR.
Peter Schenk the Younger (born 15 February 1693 in Amsterdam; died: 14 January 1775) was a Dutch engraver and map publisher active in Leipzig.
He was the son of the engraver and map publisher Peter Schenk the Elder who owned a shop in Liepzig and travelled regularly between there and Amsterdam in the 17th century. In 1715 Peter the Younger traveled to Liepzig in order to sell some paintings by Jan van Huchtenburgh and Jan and Willem van Mieris.
The Battle of Cape Passaro (or Passero) was the defeat of a Spanish fleet under Admirals Antonio de Gaztañeta and Fernando Chacón by a British fleet under Admiral George Byng, near Cape Passero, Sicily, on 11 August 1718, four months before the War of the Quadruple Alliance was formally declared.
The men-of-war of the Spanish fleet were made up of eleven ships of the line of 50 guns or above, ten frigates, four bomb vessels, two fireships and seven galleys; the rest were merchantmen with stores and provisions. The fleet was sailing in a scattered way and it sensed no danger when it caught sight of the British ships because it was unaware of the Quadruple Alliance's ultimatum. When the British fleet began to approach in an aggressive way, the Spanish fleet split into two – the smaller ships and merchantmen made for the coast, while the larger men-of-war engaged the British as they came up. HMS Canterbury, under George Walton was detached along with HMS Argyll, HMS Burford and four other ships to chase the first group and captured most of them. These captured Spanish warships were afterwards laid up in Minorca.