Two working boats in river in front of the ruins of Castle Connell, Limerick Ireland.
'Published according to Act of Parliament by Alex.r Hogg, No. 16 Paternoster Row.' (London)
'Eastgate sculp.t' engraved by John Eastgate (fl.1786-1819).
Copper engraved print on laid paper.
Some toning top and left side, some rust spots in multiple areas.
19 x 22.5 cm
The ruins of the 'Castle of Connell' (in fact the castle of a family named Gunning), from which the name of the village derives, was built on a rock outcrop overlooking the bend of the river. It was destroyed in a siege by the army of General Ginkel, fighting in support of the Army of William of Orange at the end of the 17th century. Even today a large chunk of the castle wall lies some fifty feet from the castle, thrown clear across the road by siege cannons.