‘An ancient view of part of Cheapside, with the Cross, &c’
Copper engraved print, engraved by J. Wooding London.
View of Cheapside London as it was in the early 1600s. The cross, the third or last cross on that site, was erected in 1600, demolished by order of Parliament in 1643.
This image was printed in tandem with image of Baynard Castle, text (no longer there) of 'Published according to Act of Parliament by Alex.r Hogg, No. 16 Paternoster Row' (London)
Nice copy on thick paper, sharp copy. Very light smudges, corners.
22.5 X 15 cm.
Cheapside is a common English street name, meaning "market place", from Old English ceapan, 'to buy'.