Premonstratensian monastery Alnwick Abbey, Alnwick Northumberland England.
Noble couple looking at Abbey. In background,woman talking to another woman, who has a baby in one arm and in other is holding the hand of an older child.
Some versions of this print have 'Published according to Act of Parliament by Alex.r Hogg, No. 16 Paternoster Row' at bottom. Print may have been cut down.
'Thornton sculp-t' engraved by Thornton.
Copper engraved print on thick paper.
15.5 x 20 cm
Alnwick Abbey was founded as a Premonstratensian monastery in 1147 by Eustace fitz John near Alnwick, England, as a daughter house of Newhouse Abbey in Lincolnshire. It was dissolved in 1535, refounded in 1536 and finally suppressed in 1539. It was granted to the Sadler and Winnington families.
Alnwick Abbey site is located just within Hulne Park, on the bank of the River Aln. The only visible remnant is the impressive 14th century gatehouse.
SOLD 'Israel's Bugle Call or the Hebrew Evangelist by Dr. M.L. Rossvally "The Converted Jew"...
Nice page in Latin from 16th century religious book. Page from 'Hortulus anime cum horis beate...