Photo postcard residential street New Liskeard Ontario c. 1910s
Nice early photo of a residential street in the Northern Ontario town of New Liskeard. Three children strolling down sidewalk.
Based on ‘AZO’ photographic paper used, dates from 1904-1918
Some toning on back.
(Red text is an electronic watermark that is not physically part of the photo for sale)
William Murray (1840–1906) and Irvin Heard (1871–1956) were the first European settlers in the New Liskeard area, arriving in 1891. Some years later Crown Lands Agent John Armstrong was dispatched to the area to oversee formal land settlement. The settlers founded a prosperous agricultural center, taking advantage of the rich soil in the Little Claybelt region. New Liskeard was founded soon after settlers began to arrive in Dymond, and the two towns were soon incorporated, in 1903 and 1901, respectively. New Liskeard was named after Liskeard in Cornwall, England.