Photo postcard by Fred Askar of 2 sisters Cobalt Ontario c. 1910s
Nice studio photo of two sisters (?) posing in the studio of Fred Askar in the mining town of Cobalt Ontario
Printed on back: ‘ONTARIO STUDIO, F. ASKAR, PHOTOGRAPHER, COBALT, ONT.’
Based on AZO photographic paper used, dates from 1904-1918
In 1919, his studio was located at 23 Ferguson Ave.
(Red text is an electronic watermark that is not physically part of the photo for sale)
The Cobalt silver rush started in 1903 when huge veins of silver were discovered by workers on the Temiskaming and Northern Ontario Railway (T&NO) near the Mile 103 post. By 1905 a full-scale silver rush was underway, and the town of Cobalt, Ontario sprang up to serve as its hub. By 1908 Cobalt produced 9% of the world's silver, and in 1911 produced 31,507,791 ounces of silver. However, the good ore ran out fairly rapidly, and most of the mines were closed by the 1930s. There were several small revivals over the years, notably in World War II and again in the 1950s, but both petered out and today there is no active mining in the area. In total, the Cobalt area mines produced 460 million ounces of silver.