‘Romance of the New World’
See the future not the past
An Impression of the
USA & Canada
Paperback, 22 pages + 2 blank. Nice green ‘velour’ cover.
Fascinating, flattering (if dated) text on visiting America:
- ‘The skyline of New York is the first rampart of another world’.
- ‘America can give you anything you ask of her. You can stay up all night, dancing tango to the music of Argentine peons, fox-trots to the sophisticated clash of orchestras, nameless rhythms in Harlem cellars, while n*****s induce delirium from the ecstacy of muted saxophones’.
- ‘American mentality is an adventure in itself. You will notice that the American individualist is passing.’
- ‘The American is just the revers of the Englishman.’
- ‘If you want the improbable, go to Hollywood and you’ll find it’s all true – especially at the Ambassadors on Wednesdays, when each star is determined to out-scintillate his or her rivals.’
- And many more….
Many photos of USA (and Canada):
- Long Beach
- San Francisco – Chinatown
- Santa Barbara
- ‘In the South – bringing home the cotton’
- Parade at West Point
- Sunnyside Beach Toronto
- Grand Canyon
Last page list 17 tours including prices. Most expensive, for $320, is 23-day tour #4 to California.
Covers have some large browning / aging areas, small tears. Interior pages have some browning spots, better once past title page and into text and photos.
Rosita Forbes, née Joan Rosita Torr (1890 – 1967) was an English travel writer and explorer. In 1920-21 she was the first European woman to visit the Kufra Oasis in Libya (together with the Egyptian explorer Ahmed Hassanein), in a period when this was closed to westerners.