Two photos of the William Milne & Sons sawmill, located three miles from North Bay.
Written in pencil on back of each photo "Trout Lake Mill"
Mounted on thick black cards.
Small corner creases/chips on cards.
Photo: 3 ¾” x 4 ¾”
Card: 5 ¼” x 6 ¼”
(Red text is an electronic watermark that is not physically part of the photo for sale)
In 1896, the entire family moved to North Bay. Mr. Milne “became interested in lumbering in Northern Ontario.” Soon, “Mills were founded at Spanish, Milnet, and Trout Mills, under the family name of Milne. These mills were operated under the name of William Milne and Sons.” and it became a family business that prospered.
As the years After settling in North Bay in the late 1890’s, Mr. Milne and his wife Agnes became quite involved in community activities. Agnes Milne became a life member of the Woman’s Missionary Society of St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church; she also took a vast interest in all “welfare undertakings of the community.” She participated in the family lumbering business, and took great pride in raising her children. Mr. Milne was equally devoted to communal welfare. He was a member of many social clubs, a well known businessman, was a prominent member within St. Andrews Presbyterian Church, and a loyal supporter of community aid. Mr. Milne was an active member of the city council where he served as a councilor for several years. In 1907 Mr. Milne was elected mayor of North Bay as well as being chief magistrate from 1907-1908.
The William Milne Family, researched by Kendall Burtchhttp://icsoh.nipissingu.ca › pdf › Milne2