'On board the S.S. Brazil Thursday June 16th 1955 In the port of Rio de Janeiro'
Moore McCormack Lines 'The Good Neighbor Fleet'
Cover has image of 'URUGUAY Gaucho of 1860 by Ada Peacock'
Dinner menu: Swedish Fish Salad, Fried Blue point Oysters, Long Island Duckling, Dutch Cherry Tart, American Coffee, etc.
Condition: Very fine.
30 x 23 cm
The Moore-McCormack Lines was a series of companies operating as shipping lines, operated by the Moore-McCormack Company, Incorporated later Moore-McCormack Lines, Incorporated and simply Mooremack, founded in 1913 in New York CIty. It ceased trading on its buy-out in 1982. The founders were Albert V. Moore (1880–1953) (Director/President) and Emmet J. McCormack (Director/Treasurer), with Mr Molloy (Director/Secretary).
From a small start with one ship, SS Montara, inaugurating a run from the USA to Brazil,the shipping line expanded to become a major US line operating around the world.
Moore-McCormack's original offices were at 29 Broadway, but were moved in 1919 to 5 Broadway.
The aftermath of the war had Mooremack owning 41 ships and in 1946 76 chartered ships from the US Maritime Commission. In 1949 Mooremack repaid a government loan subsidising the South American services, and repaid its mortgages, thus essentially owning its fleet.
Mooremack was involved in the Korean War. Notably, its cargo ship SS Meredith Victory rescued some 14,000 refugees from Hungnam in December 1950.
In 1954 Mooremack withdrew the liner Uruguay from its New York – River Plate route, leaving Brazil and Argentina to continue a reduced service. Uruguay was laid up in the National Defense Reserve Fleet in the James River, Virginia. In 1958 Mooremack introduced a new SS Brasil and SS Argentina to the route, while the old Brazil and Argentina joined Uruguay in the Reserve Fleet on the James River. The new pair of liners worked the route until 1969, when declining passenger numbers made them unprofitable and Mooremack laid them up.