! COVID-19: Expect longer shipping times // Attendez-vous à des délais de livraison
Passenger info is handwritten: “Karl Summe 42 Nester St. Buffalo” (crossed out in yellow). Added in purple to address: “USA”.
Handwritten in yellow across Zeppelin image “Nr 14”.
Paper is wrinkled and has been folded.
5 ¾“ x 4 1/8”
The Deutsche Zeppelin Reederei (DZR) is a limited-liability company that operates commercial passenger zeppelin flights.
In the mid-1930s, the DZR was a commercial airline based in Frankfurt that operated zeppelins in regular transatlantic revenue service, including the famous LZ 129 Hindenburg. Deutsche Zeppelin-Reederei was incorporated on 22 March 1935 as a joint venture between Zeppelin Luftschiffbau, the Ministry of Aviation, and Deutsche Luft Hansa. The LZ
The DZR took over the South American service of the LZ 127 Graf Zeppelin on 22 March 1935. On 19th March 1936, the airship LZ 129 Hindenburg was licensed to carry passengers and handed over to the DZR, allowing the airline to maintain regular South and North American routes. Construction began at the new Frankfurt Airport on a second airship hangar as well as special housing for employees. On 30th June 1936, the DZR ordered a sister ship to the Hindenburg, LZ 130 Graf Zeppelin II. Completion was scheduled for October 1937.
On 6 May 1937, the LZ 129 Hindenburg caught fire and exploded while mooring in Lakehurst, New Jersey, killing 35 people as well as CEO Ernst Lehmann. The disaster dramatically changed the fortunes of the DZR. Public confidence in Zeppelin travel had also been shattered and the LZ 127 Graf Zeppelin was immediately grounded on its return flight from Brazil on 8 May 1937.
The Hamburg-American Line (Hamburg-Amerika Linie or Hamburg Line); literally Hamburg American Packet-shipping Joint-stock company) was a transatlantic shipping enterprise established in 1847. It soon developed into the largest German, and at times the world's largest, shipping company, serving the market created by the German immigration to the United States and later immigration from Eastern Europe.
On January 20, 1928, the Brazilian Government authorized the establishment of an airline called Syndicato Condor. It could operate in all Brazilian territory and extend services to Uruguay and Argentina. Syndicato Condor kept the rights and operations between Rio de Janeiro and Porto Alegre, and further to Montevideo and Buenos Aires, because this route was of utmost interest for the future plans of Deutsche Luft Hansa in South America. Later, Syndicato Condor extended the route north to Recife and connected its network to the one of Deutsche Luft Hansa.