$57.00 USD– Sold Out
Photo postcard of pioneering electric car, produced by the Kriéger Company of Electric Vehicles early 1900s. This is one of the three models produced, the ‘Landaulette’.
The drive is sitting up front, waiting for passengers and instructions.
Written on back ‘KRIEGER Electric’
Toning on back. Indentation on card LL corner.
(Red text is an electronic watermark that is not physically part of the photo for sale)
In 1894 Louis Antoine Kriéger (1868–1951) of Paris, France began designing and building electric automobiles. By 1898 when electric powered vehicle interest increased in France, Kriéger organized the Kriéger Company of Electric Vehicles. The Brougham, The Landaulette and The Electrolette were three of the models produced. In 1901 43 electric vehicles were produced. In 1902 at least 65 were produced. Kriéger produced or assisted in several racing vehicles including one called 'Powerful' in 1900.
The Electrolette was a two-person vehicle. Next to either front wheel was an electric motor of 3 horse power each. The pinion comes out at the side next the wheel and engages with a large gear wheel which is fixed against it. The gear and pinion are inclosed in a tight case. Thus each wheel is turned independently by its own motor. The 800 pounds of Fulmen batteries are contained in a box which is fixed in the vehicle below the carriage body and is arranged so that it may be easily slid out from the rear. Kriéger claimed at least 65 miles on a single charge. The Electrolette on a level grade could do 21 miles an hour, or 12 to 15 miles over an average road.
The Kriéger automobiles were the first to use regenerative electric brakes.
In 1903 Kriéger produced the first hybrid electric vehicle (HEV); it had front wheel drive, power steering and a petrol engine that supplemented the battery pack.
The Kriéger Company manufactured electric vehicles until 1909.