! COVID-19: Expect longer shipping times // Attendez-vous à des délais de livraison
Left border has ‘Photographic History’, right border ‘The War for the Union’
‘Entered according to Act of Congress in the year 1865, by E. & H.T. Anthony & Co. in the Clerk’s Office of the District Court of the U.S for the So. District of New York.
Bottom text is faint. UL corner missing, slightly into picture. Staining around edges.
Right picture has some numbers LL corner.
Pictures themselves are faint.
'A dead rebel Soldier, as he lay in the Trenches of Fort Mahone, called by the Soldiers “Fort Damnation.” This view was taken the Morning after the storming of Petersburgh, VA., April 2d 1865.'
Back label is stained. Remnants of a postage stamp.
The Third Battle of Petersburg, also known as the Breakthrough at Petersburg or the Fall of Petersburg, was fought on April 2, 1865, south and southwest of Petersburg, Virginia, at the end of the 292-day Richmond–Petersburg Campaign (sometimes called the Siege of Petersburg) and in the beginning stage of the Appomattox Campaign near the conclusion of the American Civil War. The Union Army (Army of the Potomac, Army of the Shenandoah and Army of the James) under the overall command of General-in-chief, Lieutenant General Ulysses S. Grant, launched an assault on General Robert E. Lee's Confederate Army of Northern Virginia's Petersburg, Virginia trenches and fortifications after the Union victory at the Battle of Five Forks on April 1, 1865. As a result of that battle the Confederate right flank and rear were exposed, and the remaining supply lines cut, and the Confederate defenders were reduced by over 10,000 men killed, wounded, taken prisoner or in flight.
E. & H. T. Anthony & Company was the largest supplier and distributors of photographic supplies in the United States during the 19th century.
Company founder Edward Anthony, a Columbia College trained civil engineer who had studied photography with Samuel F.B Morse, started in the photography business in 1842 by opening a Daguerreotype gallery in New York. Five years later he opened a separate shop devoted exclusively to photographic supplies and as sales grew rapidly ceased operations in his daguerrotypist gallery. In 1850 Anthony began the production of daguerreotype cases, camera boxes, and photographic chemicals. His brother, Henry T. Anthony, joined the business two years later in 1852
The Anthony brothers' factory was located at New York City's Harlem Railroad Depot occupying 1/4 of the building by 1854 and advertised that their company was the largest manufacturer and distributor of photographic apparatus and material in the world. In 1859 Anthony added stereoscopic view cards, photographic albums, and gallery furniture and backdrops to the company's product lines. The Anthony company also maintained a close business relationship with famed American photographer and portraitist Mathew Brady.