Canada set of two postcards, Niagara Navigation steamships 1907/15

$17.50 CAD

| /

 Set of two postcards with Lake Ontario steamships the ‘Cayuga’ and the ‘Chippewa” of the Niagara Navigation Company, in 1913 a subsidiary of the Richelieu and Ontario Navigation Company.

Niagara Steamer “Cayuga”

Two cent King George V stamp with postmark ‘TORONTO, CAN.  SEP 17 1915’ with banner ‘BROADVIEW BOY’S FALL FAIR SEP 16-18 TORONTO YMCA’ and mailed to Collins Inlet, Ontario.

Stain on back,

1351 Steamer Chippewa

Leave for the far north at 1:50 PM 9-19-07 Thursday...”

This was the time of the Great Cobalt Silver Rush in Northern Ontario...headed there?

One cent King Edward VII stamp with postmark ‘TORONTO, CAN.  SEP 17 1907’ and mailed to Pennsylvania.


Niagara Navigation Company

 The demand for passenger service on the Toronto to Niagara route so increased in the early 1890s, that a third ship was added to aid the Chicora and the Cibola. This was the steamer Chippewa, which took its name from the Chippewa Indian tribe. Work began on her construction in 1892 at the Hamilton Bridge and Ship building Company, Hamilton, Ont., using a design by F. Kirby of Detroit.

The Chippewa was 311 feet long, of all steel construction (the first Niagara Navigation Co. boat to be so built) and was the largest passenger steamer on Lake Ontario at that time. She could carry 2,000 passengers and had engines built by the W. Fletcher Company of New York City. She was a sidewheeler with a walking beam amidships.

The Chippawa was completed in May 1894 It was the start of her marine life that was to last for 42 years, ending in the Fall of 1936 at the close of that season's navigation.

During these years she transported millions of passengers across Lake Ontario and during the First World War brought thousands of soldiers to and from Niagara Military camp for training.

In 1905 plans were laid for this fourth ship. It was to be 317 feet long and capable of carrying 2,500 passengers. It had 4,300 hp engines. The Cayuga was built in late 1905 by the Canadian Shipbuilding Company, Toronto, and was launched at the foot of Bathurst Street March 3, 1906. She did not start on the Niagara run until the start of navigation in 1907 but from then on, for the next 48 years, she saw annual service during which time she was destined to carry over 15 million passengers. She was also destined to be the last of the 15 Lake Ontario cruise steamers that at one time operated out of Toronto.