Large photo of the exterior of the surface plant at the New Era option of the Coniaurum Mine, Tisdale Township Porcupine (near Timmins) in Northern Ontario. Mine shaft and buIldings, Model T car.
Taken for CNR Publicity Department, London UK.
On back typewritten:
PD-3804 – Surface Plant at the New Era option of the Coniaurum Mines
Comes from the estate of a French collector who died in 1947.
Print: 20 x 25 cm // 9” x 9 ⅞”
Inner Photo : 11,50 x 15 // 4 ½” x 5 ⅞”
Paper is warped/curved. Small creases UL and LL corners.
(Red text is an electronic watermark that is not physically part of the photo for sale)
Porcupine Gold Rush
Coniaurum Mine,1913–1918, 1928–1961
The initial rush resulted in scores of small mines, but the hard rock mining demanded a high level of investment to be profitable, and many of the smaller sites with less valuable plots failed. There was a major first-mover advantage and many of the surviving properties were consolidated by the larger holdings to produce a single mine that was much more profitable. Although the "big three" were the most successful at this, there were a number of other success stories as well. The Coniaurum Mine was founded in 1924; backed by Cobalt money, they amalgamated several older plots north of the McIntyre area. The mine proved highly profitable due to the nature of the veins, which tended to run vertically. This allowed shafts to be sunk directly over the veins, without requiring the massive amounts of lumber needed to shore up horizontal drifts. The Coniaurum was successful into the 1950s, when the gold ran out.