Postcard sent from Stoney Plain Alberta by worker on Grand Trunk Pacific Railway back to sister in Nova Scotia. Railway was currently 15 miles west of Edmonton.
Photo of dirt street in Stony Plain Alberta. Man playing with dog, horse drawn wagon coming down road. In foreground railway tracks.
Mailed to Gay’s River Colchester Co, N.S.
Photo by Fishlock & Rogers Stony, Plain.
The Grand Trunk Pacific Railway was a historic Canadian transcontinental railway running from Fort William, Ontario (now Thunder Bay) to Prince Rupert, British Columbia, a Pacific coast port. East of Winnipeg the line continued as the National Transcontinental Railway (NTR), running across northern Ontario and Quebec, crossing the St. Lawrence River at Quebec City and ending at Moncton, New Brunswick.
Largely constructed 1907–14, the GTPR operated 1914–19, prior to nationalization as the Canadian National Railway (CNR).
During the official ceremony on September 11, 1905 at Fort William, Ontario, Laurier turned the first sod for the construction of the GTPR, but the actual first sod had occurred the previous month about 19.3 km south of Carberry, Manitoba. From Fort William, the GTPR built a 310 km section of track connecting with the NTR near Sioux Lookout. The route paralleled the CPR for 217 km west of Winnipeg before it veered northwest. That year, the provinces of Alberta and Saskatchewan were established. The line proceeded west to Saskatoon in 1907, Edmonton in 1909, and Wolf Creek in 1910...