Attractive pre-WW1 photo of soldier in basic uniform atop black horse. IN background wide open field. Taken at the Petawawa Ontario Military Camp.
Lower left “Petawawa 1907’'.
Lower right photographer ‘Neapole Pembroke’.
No identifying information.
Photo mounted on thick card with decorative scroll work along inner borders.
Stain UL of card, small smudges on card. Some toning in photo.
Photo: 4 ½” x 6 ¼”
Card: 7” x 8 ¾”
(Red text is an electronic watermark that is not physically part of the photo for sale)
Henry R. Neapole was a photographer based in Pembroke Ontario, from c. 1888-1910.
Founded in 1905 as the Petawawa Military Camp, or Camp Petawawa, the Garrison was created by the Department of Militia and Defence…
By 1904 the Department of Militia and Defence purchased 150 properties from these settlers totaling 90 square kilometres (22,000 acres). The Royal Canadian Horse and Garrison Artillery were the first to train at Petawawa Military Camp during the summer of 1905. In 1906 the Royal Canadian Engineers constructed huts, stables and installed water and gas systems. In that same year "A" and "B" Batteries of the Royal Canadian Horse Artillery, commenced the first of many marches to Camp Petawawa for summer training from their permanent station in Kingston, Ontario.
By 1907 combined training and tactical exercises were conducted by various other units such as A and B Squadron, Royal Canadian Dragoons; A and B Batteries, Royal Canadian Horse Artillery; No. 2 Company, Royal Canadian Engineers; a battalion from The Royal Canadian Regiment; and detachments from the Medical and Ordnance Corps.