Bobcaygeon Circuit of the Methodist Church - Financial reports 1920 & 1921

$15.00 CAD

| /

A small glance into the working of a rural church early in the 1900s.
Rev J.M. Whyte Pastor
Geo. W. Taylor Rec. Steward
For financial years ending April 30th 1920 and April 30th 1921


Lists Board members, Sunday school superintendents, Women's Missionary Society. Then lists all members, their salary and contributions to church! Some hand corrections.

1920 pamphlet: fair, blue stain on cover, back cover has a piece sliced out and two other cuts, not affecting any text.

1921 pamphlet: very fine. Front cover has signature of church member.


The village of Bobcaygeon, surveyed by Thomas Need in 1832, is situated on three islands lying on the narrows between Sturgeon and Pigeon Lakes. It apparently received its name from an Indian source meaning rapids or running water.

It was in 1857 that Methodism began here. In that year, the Rev. James Ash, a saddleback preacher was in charge of the Bobcaygeon Mission, which extended to within four miles of Lindsay, east to Nogies Creek, north to Kinmount, and west to Fenelon Falls.

In July 1858, Rev. John Dowler succeeded Mr. Ash, and it was during his pastorate that the original “Trinity” Church was built in 1860: a frame building seated with planks and lighted with candles.

In 1861, Mr. Dowler’s parish had become so large that he was sent an assistant, a student, Nathaniel Burwash, who became a great educator and Chancellor of Victoria University. The Bobcaygeon Charge continued to have student assistants until 1915

In 1879 the church in Bobcaygeon was enlarged by adding 15 feet to the length, a new porch added, new windows and frames, lath and plaster inside and brick veneer outside, and a new roof. A pulpit was installed and new pews purchased which are still in use in the gallery of the new church. The total cost of that renovation was one thousand dollars, half of which was borrowed at 8 1/2 % interest.

During the pastorate of Rev. H. W. Foley, the Sunday School Room was built in 1912 at a cost of $1,200.