Photo of man working on large milling machinery in Canadair's Montreal manufacturing facility. Previous owner stated related to the F-86 Sabre jet fighter.
Stamped on back:
Number stamped below ‘D 15215’
20,50 x 25,50 cm // 8" x 9 ⅞”
(Red text is an electronic watermark that is not physically part of the photo for sale)
Canadair Ltd. was a civil and military aircraft manufacturer in Canada.
Canadair's origins lie in the foundation of a manufacturing centre for Canadian Vickers in the Saint-Laurent borough of Montreal, at Cartierville Airport. It was created as a separate entity by the government of Canada on 11 November 1944.
Having absorbing the operations of the Canadian Vickers company, it initially operated as a manufacturer of Consolidated PBY "Canso" flying boats on behalf of the Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF). In addition to the PBY contract, a development contract to produce a new variant of the Douglas DC-4 transport was also underway. The resulting aircraft, the Canadair DC-4M, which was powered by an arrangement of four British-sourced Rolls-Royce Merlin engines, began production during 1946; it was marketed under the "Northstar" name.
During the immediate postwar era, Canadair purchased the "work in progress" on the existing Douglas DC-3/C-47 series. In 1946, the Electric Boat Company, an American industrial group, bought a controlling interest in the company.