Small one-piece pre-printed envelope and insert. Insert made up of 6 panels with pictures of ships in the Fleet, on reverse is 4 panels for letter contents, last 2 make up the envelope.
Printed by Raphael Tuck and Sons, London and Northampton.
Ships pictured are:
Some are paddle steamers.
11.5 X 48 cm fully open, 11.5 X 7.5 closed
Small tears on letter flap. Letter was sealed blank and opened – glue remains and some paper abrasions.
Peter and Alexander Campbell were the sons of Captain Bob Campbell, who ran a steamboat on the River Clyde. In 1887 their paddle steamer Waverley was moved from the Clyde to the Bristol Channel and they set up the White Funnel fleet for coastal cruising.
They had a shaky start when they were summoned before the Bristol Magistrates in July 1887 for having an uncertified engineer for the Waverley.
The company was formally formed in 1893 and they used the White Funnel image as a company logo. During the First World War, twelve of the fleet were requisitioned by the Admiralty as minesweepers and a troop ship. Two ships, Brighton Queen and Lady Ismay were lost.