Lake George and Lake Champlain
The Lake George STEAMSHIP COMPANY
The Lake George Steamboat Company was incorporated in 1817 to operate steamboats on Lake George, New York. It is the oldest company in the Lake George region.The company operates steamboats that run the full length of Lake George between Ticonderoga at the north end of the lake and the village of Lake George at the south end of the lake.
James Caldwell, founder of the village of Caldwell (later became Lake George Village) on the south end of Lake George was one of the company's founders. The company's first steamboat, the James Caldwell, was launched in 1817 and burned in 1821. In 1823, the company launched the Mountaineer, its second steamship. Since then, the Company purchased, built, expanded and/or retrofitted over a dozen steamboats, including the Mohican II, listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2010. From 1873 until 1943, it was owned and operated by the Delaware and Hudson Company. In 1927, the company opened the Crandall Marine Railway