Nice 1924 photo of the Toronto Winchester St. School Junior Boys Hockey Team. They were the Toronto City champions for their age group.
Boys wearing hockey sweaters with ‘W’ logo. In front , goalie wearing his equipment, trophy in front of him.
On frame, photographer ‘Leatherdale Studio’.
Photo mounted on thick cardboard card.
Missing paper chip UL corner, rounded LL, UR corners. Small tear left edge. Toning on edges. Light smudges.
Card: 11 7/8” x 13 ⅜”
Photo: 7 ⅜” x 9 ⅜”
(Red text is an electronic watermark that is not physically part of the photo for sale)
Winchester Street School began here in a frame building on September 21, 1874. Headmaster Andrew Hendry and Margaret Fraser taught all 207 pupils. Adult evening classes commenced in 1882 and the kindergarten opened in 1892. The present building was constructed in 1897 during Thomas Parker's 25 year term as principal, as a nine-room, two-story brick structure. It was enlarged to three stories in 1901. In 1903 this school was one of the first two in the city to offer training in domestic science.
Thomas J. Leatherdale (1868-1920) operated a photography studio under his own name, from 1898-1906, that was first located at 147 King St E, and later moved to 52 King St W, Hamilton, Ontario. In 1910 he opened a studio at 352 1/2 Yonge Street, Toronto, Ontario that was succeeded by Miss Margaret Leatherdale from 1921 onwards.