Nice post-War magazines from famed Toronto Girls School.
Large number of pages with interesting Toronto advertising…Simpson, Lawlor’s Bread, Underwood., Singer, Higgins & Burke, Christie Biscuit, Heinztman Pianos, Dr. Ryan Dentist….
Stories, religious articles, “A nun in the Battlefield”, poems, alumnae notes, college notes, community notes, academy notes…
Each with several black and white full page photos.
December 1924 Vol XIII No, 3
138 pages + 32 pages of advertising
June 1925 Vol. XIV No. 1
141 pages + 30 pages advertising
Covers with light stains, some damage on spine. Interiors fresh, bit rust on staples.
24.5 x17 x 1 cm
St. Joseph's College School was founded by the Sisters of St. Joseph of Toronto in 1854, three years after the first nuns from the order came to the city. The roots of the Congregation began in LePuy, France, when the Sisters of St. Joseph was established in 1648 by a French Jesuit named Jean Paul Médaille.
Originally called “St. Joseph’s Academy for Young Ladies,” the name was changed to “St. Joseph’s College School, a Boarding and Day School for the Higher and Primary Education of Young Ladies and Little Girls” when the school moved to Bay and St. Alban's Street in 1863. In 1927, the school was renamed “St. Joseph’s College School” when it was moved to a building separate from the convent.
St. Joseph's College has a history of promoting girls’ and women's education. In 1911, the school requested to be affiliated with the University of Toronto—a request the then-president of the university, Sir Robert Falconer, granted. St. Joseph's was officially tied to St. Michael's College, the Roman Catholic college of the University of Toronto, in 1912. This resulted in women being able to take courses at St. Michael's College for the first time. In 1928, the Academy was renamed St. Joseph's College School.