Nice 1922 photo of the Toronto Winchester St. School Bantam Boys Hockey Team (under 10 y.o.). They were the Toronto City champions for their age group.
Winchester St School Bantam Hockey Team, City Champions 1922
N. TAYLOR R.C. Cameron (Asst. Master) W. Bryce B.A. (Inspector) D. SINCLAIR
C.PEPPIATT R. PEPPIATT J. FOTHERINGHAM
Photo taken by Thomas Leatherdale.
Photo mounted on thick cardboard card.
Some corner creases on card, toning on edges. Light smudges.
Card: 11 7/8” x 13 ¾”
Photo: 7 ¼” x 9 ¼”
(Red text is an electronic watermark that is not physically part of the photo for sale)
Winchester Street School began here in a frame building on September 21, 1874. Headmaster Andrew Hendry and Margaret Fraser taught all 207 pupils. Adult evening classes commenced in 1882 and the kindergarten opened in 1892. The present building was constructed in 1897 during Thomas Parker's 25 year term as principal, as a nine-room, two-story brick structure. It was enlarged to three stories in 1901. In 1903 this school was one of the first two in the city to offer training in domestic science.
Thomas J. Leatherdale (1868-1920) operated a photography studio under his own name, from 1898-1906, that was first located at 147 King St E, and later moved to 52 King St W, Hamilton, Ontario. In 1910 he opened a studio at 352 1/2 Yonge Street, Toronto, Ontario that was succeeded by Miss Margaret Leatherdale from 1921 onwards.