Industrial home located at 6870 Sherbrooke St. West, school next door at 6872.
Pictures of buildings, blind men making brooms, Dictaphone typewritting,etc..
Reports, financials, some ‘firsts’ implemented by Montreal, e.g. ‘first to start a Boarding House for the blind with home comforts’.
20 pages + covers
14 X 22 cm.
Stain on back cover. Mild creases.
Founded in 1908 by Philip E. Layton, the MAB began with the establishment of a social club, a braille lending library and a sheltered workshop. In 1912, a residential school was built for blind elementary students who were eventually integrated into their local high school in 1922 – a first in Canada. Through the years many new services came to be, often through advances in technology. In 1947, talking books were added to the library and a low vision clinic was started in 1979. The MAB began a residence for blind and visually impaired seniors in 1968, later adding a Day Centre for seniors living in the community. A very special volunteer-operated weekly social activity called the Cheerio Club has been running for over 54 years, helping visually-impaired seniors combat social isolation.