1921-22 Canada University of Toronto Dentistry programmes ‘Dentantics’

$53.00 USD

| /

Set of three programmes for night of entertainment by students in the Royal College of Dental Surgeons, University of Toronto. Evening of skits and songs presented by students. Two from 1921, one from 1922.

Both contain local advertising, many interesting dental equipment & supplies (including chairs).

The 1921 event was the first ever performance, a tradition that continues to this day. It was organized by Cal Foote Class of 24 and presented before a crowd of 1,500 of the University’s Convocation Hall.

Two copies of programme for the 1st ever show on March 10th 1921

Ads…S.S. White Company of Canada, Leslie Jarvis, Ferrier’s Drug Store, Ingrim & Bell, Rose Café, National Refining…

Art, verses, committee members, comic strips, skits, musical pieces, etc.

28 pages + covers

One has slight ‘warp’ along left side

22 x 15 cm

 

Programme for the 2nd show on February 2nd 1922

Ads…Goldsmith Brothers, S.S. White Company of Canada, Claudius Ash Sons, National Refining, Greydons, Temple-Pattison Co.

Art, verses, committee members, comic strips, skits, musical pieces, humorous student time table, etc

32 pages + covers

Light cover vertical  creases, some rust on staples.

22 x 15 cm

 

In 1868, the Province of Ontario passed the "Act Respecting Dentistry". This Act granted the Royal College of Dental Surgeons of Ontario (RCDSO) dual responsibilities of licensing and dental education in Ontario. In 1875, the Royal College of Dental Surgeons was founded, with its first semester schedule to start on November 3, 1875. Under the Act, the RCDS could grant a Licentiate of Dental Surgery (LDS), which was not a formal degree, but training that granted those interested in a license to practice dentistry in Ontario. James Branston Willmott was the first Dean of the school. Dr. Willmott, joined by Dr. Luke Teskey were the only two professors guiding the first class of eleven students in 1875–1876. The RCDS established an affiliation with the University of Toronto in 1888, but it was not until 1889 that it granted the Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS) degrees. In 1925, the RCDS became the Faculty of Dentistry at the University of Toronto.