Photo of people walking parade down street on January 20th 1919 welcoming back home from WW1 the 144th Field Artillery Regiment aka ‘California Grizzlies’. Note row of nurses following men in front.
Note that most people are wearing white masks, due to the worldwide influenza epidemic. By January 17, the city had reinstated its mask law, requiring all citizens to wear face masks when congregating in groups of two or more — except during meals.
A Mothers Arch was erected at Powell and Market Streets, contained thousands of white carnations, formed to make the words "Mothers Welcome."
Written on negative ‘WELCOME TO GRIZZLIES SAN FRANCISCO, CAL. WEIDNER, PHOTO’
Charles Weidner was one of the outstanding San Francisco postcard photographers and publishers.
Text on back (French):
'AZO' photographic paper.
Some corner scuffs.
…the 144th Field Artillery Regiment called the California Grizzlies. The California Grizzlies were originally formed in 1915 in the San Francisco area by polo players and expert horsemen with the plan to perform military cavalry service. The troops trained for eighteen months on weekends, and upon the United States’ declaration of war with Germany in April 1917 became a part of the California National Guard, 40th Infantry Division. The need for cavalry in modern warfare having passed, the unit was made a Field Artillery Regiment supporting the Infantry units. The unit trained at the Tanforan Race Track in Redwood City from August through October 1917 and then at Camp Kearney from October 1917 through June 1918. Camp Kearney was located twelve miles north of San Diego. The 144th Field Artillery Regiment “California Grizzlies” consisted of five batteries, 1,268 total enlisted men plus officers.