WW1-era magazine from the Royal Cross School for the Deaf in Preston, Lancashire UK.
Nice image of horse drawn carriage on road in front of imposing building
Folded vertically, other creases. Toning on covers.
8 pages + covers
19 x 12.5 cm
Mary CROSS (1805?-93) of Myerscough, was a benefactress who lived near Preston and founded the Cross Deaf and Dumb School (later the Royal Cross School for the Deaf). On her death she bequeathed £7,888 to the school. The foundation stone was laid in 1892 and opened to pupils in 1894 by the Earl of Derby. The additional title of ‘Royal’ came in 1897.
The Royal School’s first headmaster was J.G. Shaw, editor of The Blackburn Times (from 1888). Shaw came in touch with the local missioner G.F.C. Bolton in 1879 and proceeded to learn finger spelling and sign language, before becoming a voluntary worker with the local deaf community.
The first deaf scout & guide groups were at Preston, the Royal Cross School.