Photo postcard dating to September 16th 1915, with image of soldiers on a street, rebuilding destroyed buildings.
On August 16-19, 1915, Galveston Island was hit by a devastating hurricane. Damage amounted to $50 million, but there were only 275 deaths. The low loss of life is attributed to the protection of the seawall, constructed after the 1900 hurricane which did $40 million worth of damage and killed thousands of people.
Written on negative (hard to read):
‘AZO’ photographic paper dates them to 1904-1918.
Toned on back. Paper bit 'curved'.
(Red text is an electronic watermark that is not physically part of the card)
According to information published at the time of the camp's establishment, the Fifth Brigade of the Second Army Division was ordered to Ft. Crockett at Galveston on Feb. 22, 1913. The Fourth and Sixth Infantry Brigades, the Fourth Field Artillery, the Sixth Cavalry, Engineers Companies G, H and M, Field Hospital No. 3, Ambulance Company No. 3, twelve ovens of Field Bakery No. 2 and the Aviation Squadron of the Second Army Division were deployed to Texas City under the command of Major General William H. Carter, commander of the Second Division.
In August 1915, a damaging hurricane caused total destruction of the Army camp and severe property damage in the community. Although Hugh B. Moore tried hard to persuade Army officials to rebuild the camp after the storm, the official decision to shut down the camp came quickly. Some soldiers remained a short time to assist with disaster recovery efforts in Texas City, but most were quickly reassigned, transferred to other military locations, and the encampment was shut down permanently.