Real photo postcard of 3 men on a Grand Trunk Railway handcar. Taken in Algonquin Park (Central Ontario) near Canoe Lake.
Middle man could be section foreman, Edwin Thomas.
Painted on front of car ‘GTR’ ‘62’ and ‘OTTAWA’.
Written on back “April 13th 1913 Algonquin Park Canoe Lake”
‘CYKO’ photographic paper dates it 1904-1920.
(Red text is an electronic watermark that is not physically part of the photo for sale)
The Ottawa, Arnprior and Parry Sound Railway, or OA&PS, is a historic railway that operated in central and eastern Ontario, Canada from 1897 until 1959. It was, for a time, the busiest railway route in Canada, carrying both timber and wood products from today's Algonquin Provincial Park areas, as well as up to 40% of the grain traffic from the Canadian west from Depot Harbour at Parry Sound through to the St. Lawrence River valley
The railway was built by John Rudolphus Booth, a 19th-century Canadian lumber baron and entrepreneur, who owned considerable timber rights in the Algonquin area as well as a major sawmill in downtown Ottawa. To open markets for the mill's products he purchased Donald Macdonald's lines and formed the Canada Atlantic Railway (CAR) from Ottawa to Vermont. To supply the mills, the OA&PS shipped timber in from across central Ontario. Together, the OA&PS and CAR allowed through shipment from the Canadian west to the US eastern seaboard areas. The lines were amalgamated under the CAR marque in 1899, and sold to the Grand Trunk Railway in 1905.