! COVID-19: Expect longer shipping times // Attendez-vous à des délais de livraison
Request for a catalog on canoe products, to be sent to Muskoka Station CPR.
Typewritten reply letter from famous Canoe and Boat builder, J.H. Ross Boat & Canoe Co. Ltd, Orillia Ontario.
Lefroy is located near Lake Simcoe.
Two punch-holes in letter for filing.
Customer letter is 16 X 12.5 cm and reply is 26.5 X 21 cm.
Four names dominate the boat manufacturing scene in Orillia in the century from the 1870s to 1964. They are Ross, Dean, Ditchburn and Hunter.
Southeast of this to the foot of Elgin Street is where Orillia's boat building industry sprang up. J. H. Ross Canoe and Boat Company was "first to begin selling craft on the waterfront" in 1870.
"Ross built fine sailboats that won races throughout Ontario", Richmond quotes Hunter as saying. "... and what was likely one of the first motorboats on Lake Couchiching." And Ross evidently until 1964. John Dean began with building canoes. He designed and produced "the famous Sunnyside racing canoe that was shipped all over the world."
MacTier celebrates a century thanks to the railway
It was the Canadian Pacific Railway which first brought attention to the region in the early 1900s. CP Rail was famed for its transcontinental line, but it also maintained thousands of miles of secondary tracks that spread out into every corner of the nation. In 1905, work began on a line to extend due north from Toronto to join the transcontinental line near Sudbury, thereby linking Canada’s largest city with its most important railway. Three years later, in 1908, the line was complete.
A divisional point, a place intended to serve both trains and work crews, was established exactly halfway between Toronto and Sudbury. This became known as Muskoka Station.
Muskoka Station was a vital railway facility. Here steam engines were taken off for maintenance at a roundhouse, coal could be secured from extensive warehouse facilities, and a ready supply of water was available from large tanks. Work crews, maintenance staff, and administrative employees were accommodated in boarding houses lining the tracks. Soon a village began to develop around the bustling railway yards.