Written on back ‘Cedar Dale Oshawa 1911’
Mounted on cardboard backing
Photo: 20.5 x 15 cm / 8” X 6”
Backing: 35 X 30 cm / 13-7/8” X 11-7/8”
Backing is bit beat up, corner chips, stains. Tear/paper crunch LR border, tear right border, small tear UL corner. Photo fine.
(Red text is an electronic watermark that is not physically part of the photo for sale)
Cedar Dale was located just south of what today is known as Bloor Street and was bounded by Park Road and Wilson Road with frontage to Lake Ontario. It was not a part of Oshawa until the early 1920s. Prior to this date, Cedar Dale was designated a “Police Village”, separate also from East Whitby Township. Many local historians credit the creation of Cedar Dale to one man, A.S. Whiting. This rather noteworthy credit is given to Whiting because he chose to build his new manufacturing business south of the other industries found in the Oshawa area. Mr. Whiting even brought in people to work at his new factory from his home state of Connecticut. In fact, Whiting is even credited with naming Cedar Dale. The Ontario Reformer for Friday, May 7, 1873 credited Mr. Whiting for the existence of Cedar Dale. According to the article, it was “through the establishment and enterprise of the Cedar Dale Works” that Cedar Dale now exists.
With the influx of workers and other people settling in this area just north of the lake, it was decided to build a school. Some time in the early 1800s School Section No. 2 was built. The log school was located on Simcoe Street between the centre of the settlement of Oshawa and the lakeshore. In 1867 a brick school was built and this one room schoolhouse was soon modified into a two-room schoolhouse. This school serviced the residents of the area for many, many years; however, in the early 1900s the growth of the area meant that this schoolhouse was no longer big enough.