Colour lithograph image of Buffalo Mine site in the famed Northern Ontario Cobalt camp.
‘Published for C.H. Moore. Cobalt 6192. Warwick Bros & Rutter Limited, Printers, Toronto’
Cliff Moore owned the Cobalt Mess as well as the C.H. Moore Drug Store.
Discovered in 1906 right next to the Townsite Mine, and operated until 1919 by Buffalo Mines Ltd. By various operators after that and finally by Agnico Mines Ltd. in 1957. The last work done on it was underground exploration from 1963-1967. The property was developed by 4 main shafts the deepest being 235 ft. Total production was about 14 million oz. Ag; and 150,000 lbs of Co.
The Cobalt silver rush started in 1903 when huge veins of silver were discovered by workers on the Temiskaming and Northern Ontario Railway (T&NO) near the Mile 103 post. By 1905 a full-scale silver rush was underway, and the town of Cobalt, Ontario sprang up to serve as its hub. By 1908 Cobalt produced 9% of the world's silver, and in 1911 produced 31,507,791 ounces of silver. However, the good ore ran out fairly rapidly, and most of the mines were closed by the 1930s. There were several small revivals over the years, notably in World War II and again in the 1950s, but both petered out and today there is no active mining in the area. In total, the Cobalt area mines produced 460 million ounces of silver.
The Cobalt Rush was instrumental in opening northern Ontario for mineral exploration. Prospectors fanned out from Cobalt, and soon caused the nearby Porcupine Gold Rush in 1909, and the Kirkland Lake Gold Rush of 1912. Much of the settlement in northern Ontario outside the Clay Belt owes its existence indirectly to the Cobalt Rush.
Warwick Brothers & Rutter, Ltd., a Toronto-based printing company, is known to have published in the vicinity of 7,500 picture postcards between 1903 and 1912. Warwick produced colour lithographed cards on its own presses in Canada rather than outsourcing that work to printers in Germany or England, as was then the prevailing practice among its Canadian competitors (and among postcard publishers in most other countries as well). Warwick’s entry into the postcard business was made more difficult by the fact that, after less than a year of production, the company’s premises at 68-70 Front Street West were destroyed in the Toronto fire of 1904. Nearly all of its inventory, including its postcards, was lost at that time