Four documents sent to J. H. Ross Boat and Canoe Co. Orillia Ontario Canada.
Maley Thompson & Morfett Co. Cincinnati OH – Mahogany, Walnut and Quartered Oak Lumber & Veneer.
Enclosing Bill of Lading for shipment of 133 pieces of 1” oak lumber.
Nice letterhead, and listing on side of ‘Woods we can furnish’. Two hole punches for storage, vertical and horizontal folds. 21 X 18.5 cm
July 2, 1913
The Connecticut Telephone and Electric Co. Meriden Conn. – Manufacturers of Automobile Ignition Specialties and Accessories.
In October of 1912, sent a sample of plug coil for testing. Since we have not heard from you, transferring item to charge account. Note that they had some production problems around that time, and some of the coils ‘gave trouble’. Would be happy to exchange for newer type.
Nice letterhead image of electronic device. Two hole punches for storage, vertical and horizontal folds. 21.5 X 28 cm.
Jan. 14, 1914
Van Blerck Motor Co. Monroe Mich. – Maker of High Speed and Medium Duty Marine Motors.
Discussion of size of inserts for entry into Ross’ new catalog.
Letterhead with company logo. Two hole punches for storage, vertical and horizontal folds. 21.5 X 28 cm.
Feb. 17, 915
William H. Hand Jr New Bedford Mass. – Naval Architect
Responding to a question. The plans he supplies “are not full size patterns, but are scale drawings arranged in a plain and simple manner”. Hundreds of boats have been constructed from his plans by amateurs.
Letterhead with name and address. Two hole punches for storage, vertical and horizontal folds. 21.5 X 28 cm.
Four names dominate the boat manufacturing scene in Orillia in the century from the 1870s to 1964. They are Ross, Dean, Ditchburn and Hunter.
Southeast of this to the foot of Elgin Street is where Orillia's boat building industry sprang up. J. H. Ross Canoe and Boat Company was "first to begin selling craft on the waterfront" in 1870.
"Ross built fine sailboats that won races throughout Ontario", Richmond quotes Hunter as saying. "... and what was likely one of the first motorboats on Lake Couchiching." And Ross evidently until 1964. John Dean began with building canoes. He designed and produced "the famous Sunnyside racing canoe that was shipped all over the world."