Real photo postcard of the Lebret (Qu’Appelle) Industrial Residential School, run by the Missionary Oblates of Mary Immaculate and the Grey Nuns.
The School was located on the White Calf (Wa-Pii Moos-Toosis) Reserve west of Lebret Saskatchewan.
A sad part of Canada’s history.
Written on negative "1907 Qu'Appelle Industrial School".
Based on VELOX photographic paper used, dates it from 1907-1917.
Unused. Small hole upper/middle. Smudges, toning on back.
(Red text is an electronic watermark that is not physically part of the photo for sale)
In the early 1880s the federal government decided to establish industrial schools to fulfil treaty promises to native people as well as to provide for their future self-support. Negotiations with the Catholic hierarchy led to the opening of a school at Lebret in 1884, under Hugonard as principal. With the assistance of the Grey Nuns, a few Oblate fathers, and lay instructors, Hugonard was to make Qu’Appelle Industrial School a model Catholic educational facility for native people and the largest such institution in Canada. The native children, in parallel boys’ and girls’ schools, attended classes for half the day and engaged in domestic or agricultural pursuits the other half. English was the language of instruction; the girls played croquet and the boys cricket.
The Lebret (Qu’Appelle, St. Paul’s, Whitecalf) Industrial School, (1884 – 1998) , operated by the Roman Catholic Church (Missionary Oblates of Mary Immaculate and the Grey Nuns) from 1884 until 1973, was one of the first three industrial schools that opened following the recommendations of the Davin Report, and was fully funded by the government (Battleford was the other in what is now Saskatchewan). This school was located on the White Calf (Wa-Pii Moos-Toosis) Reserve, west of the village of Lebret on Treaty 4 land. Lebret school has a long history as one of the first industrial schools to open and the last to close.