Postcard photo from the early years of the Northern Ontario mining silver rush town of Cobalt. Photo of men standing around the Foster shaft under construction (?). In background water tower and couple of buildings.
Sent by a church canon (!) from France to friends back home. He has come into town to buy provisions and continue his "search" in the forest. Was he prospecting?
Printed (lightly) on negative ‘FOSTER’. Foster Mine, Coleman Township, Cobalt area, Cobalt-Gowganda region, Timiskaming District, Ontario, Canada
Text on front and back:
Postmarked ‘COBALT ONT PM SP 21 07’. Mailed to Mr & Mrs Edon, Sarthe, France. No stamp. Receipt France postmark, October 2nd.
‘AZO’ photographic paper used dates it to 1904-1918.
Couple corner creases. Stain and area of red transfer on front left. Toning & staining on back
(Red text is an electronic watermark that is not physically part of the photo for sale)
The Foster mine was on the south-east shore of Glen Lake which is now occupied by a mill.
The Cobalt silver rush started in 1903 when huge veins of silver were discovered by workers on the Temiskaming and Northern Ontario Railway (T&NO) near the Mile 103 post. By 1905 a full-scale silver rush was underway, and the town of Cobalt, Ontario sprang up to serve as its hub. By 1908 Cobalt produced 9% of the world's silver, and in 1911 produced 31,507,791 ounces of silver. However, the good ore ran out fairly rapidly, and most of the mines were closed by the 1930s. There were several small revivals over the years, notably in World War II and again in the 1950s, but both petered out and today there is no active mining in the area. In total, the Cobalt area mines produced 460 million ounces of silver.