Nice photo postcard with group of Krieger electric automobiles in a garage. Several have chauffeurs in uniform seated in vehicles. Taxis?
London ‘A’ registration plates.
Publisher's name on back
A. & G. Taylor’s “Reality” Series 70, Queen Victoria St. , London E.C. Genuine Silver Print Photograph (Copyright).
Written in pencil on back “KRIEGER 1905”
Postmarked 'LONDON S.W. AUG 3 05’. Mailed to Derby.
(Red text is an electronic watermark that is not physically part of the photo for sale)
In 1894 Louis Antoine Kriéger (1868–1951) of Paris, France began designing and building electric automobiles. By 1898 when electric powered vehicle interest increased in France, Kriéger organized the Kriéger Company of Electric Vehicles (Société des Voitures Électriques Système Kriéger). The Brougham, The Landaulette and The Electrolette were three of the models produced. In 1901 43 electric vehicles were produced. In 1902 at least 65 were produced. Kriéger produced or assisted in several racing vehicles including one called 'Powerful' in 1900.
The Kriéger automobiles were the first to use regenerative electric brakes.
In 1903 Kriéger produced the first hybrid electric vehicle (HEV); it had front wheel drive, power steering and a petrol engine that supplemented the battery pack.
The Kriéger Company manufactured electric vehicles until 1909. There is some evidence that Louis Antoine Kriéger continuing to design and work with others afterwards, including the Electrolette name.
A. & G. Taylor was a British photographic business, and manufacturer of cabinet cards and cartes de visite, and later picture postcards.
By 1901, they were producing picture postcards, using four different series, the Reality Series of greetings, children, actresses, and military themes, as real photo postcards, the Carbontone Series of black and white printed views and greetings, the Orthochrome Series of views and greetings, printed in tinted halftone, and a Comic Series. After 1914, they moved their main studio to Hastings, but may have closed by 1918.