Cup awarded at the CCA (Canadian Canoe Association) championships held at the Britannia Nautical Club (Ottawa) on August 9th, 1902.
‘Loving cup’ three-handed pewter (?) trophy.
Stamped on bottom ‘MERIDEN 240’.
4 ¾” x 6 ¼” (H x W)
Looking top down, not perfectly circular.
Small dent top of text.
The Britannia Yacht Club (BYC) is a private social club, yacht club and tennis club based in Britannia, Ottawa, Ontario. It was founded in 1887 by a group of cottagers. The members have contributed to the sports of yachting and tennis.
The Britannia Aquatic Club (BAC) was founded circa 1887 using a converted sawmill, cottages and boat storage built by John Cameron Jamieson, a lumberman, baker, and alderman as its headquarters.
In 1892, the Britannia Aquatic Club (BAC) changed its name to the Britannia Nautical Club (BNC), still using a converted Mill built in 1880–85 by John Cameron Jamieson as its headquarters. On August 29, 1891, the BNC held its first regatta which included sailing, paddling and rowing races. The mandate of the Club was to foster all kinds of water sports, and to hold regattas, sailing races, canoe, rowing and log rolling events
The Britannia Boat House Club was one of nine co-founders of the Canadian Canoe Association (CCA) in 1900. In 1900, Britannia Boathouse Club won the War canoe and the canoe race at the regatta hosted by Britannia. In 1900, the Club logo consisted of cross paddles and a burgee. A photo of the Britannia Bay Club House c. 1900 by Harmer William Morell is in the Library and Archives Canada Collection. The Club hosted the CCA championships in 1902, 1908, 1911 and 1935.
Meriden Britannia Co Ltd, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada (founded 1879) was a subsidiary of Meriden Britannia Company of Meriden, Connecticut. It produced 1847 Rogers Bros silverplate, sterling silver flatware, silverplated nickel silver and white metal hollowware.